Today we started to lay out the design and tomorrow we’ll continue to lay out all the different beds and walk ways.
I’ll post pictures tomorrow.
I’ve tested our soil and it’s deficient in Nitrogen and Potash, sufficient to surplus in Phosphorus and the pH level is neutral.
It’s difficult to work the ground because it’s compact and full of rocks. Just raking it is hard.
So we’ll get a good amount of fresh top soil and hopefully, I can transplant all of my plants to the garden tomorrow.
For our walkways we’ll be using landscaping fabric and gravel and for the edging, we’ll use slate roofing tiles. We have a shed full of ‘m and I think it will work very well.
Some spring notes:
Some of the Coltsfoot has gone to seed
I’ve found Garlic mustards with huge leaves, almost 4-5 inch wide, but unfortunately, too close to the road
Found my second garden snake two days ago
I’m a bit disappointed with my Mulleins.
Last year I had several patches with nice young Mullein rosettes. Maybe I over harvested because this year, all I find is the old Mullein rosettes with yellowish old leaves and left over stalks.
I made dandelion syrup today but it crystallized almost immediately. The flavor is great but I have to work a little on the consistency.
Right now I use 2 cups of dandelion flowers, 3 cups of water and 1.5 cup of sugar.
I rinse and cover the dandelion flowers in 3 cups of water, bring them to a boil, remove them from heat and let them sit overnight
The next day I bring them to a boil again, add the sugar, lower the heat and boil on low heat for about half an hour, or longer, depending on the desired thickness.
Strain through a cheesecloth and let cool in a nice jar or bottle. I like using “holland house” cooking wine bottles, size is right and it has a screw top.
Like I said, the flavor is great, just not the fact that all the sugar sinks to the bottom when it cools down.